The Sustainability Committee’s mission is to make San Francisco the most sustainable hotel destination in the country. The committee serves as a platform for hotels and allied members to share best practices and innovations to achieve sustainability goals.
If you are interested in joining the committee, please contact Josh Leung.
- Rooftop honeybee sanctuaries
- The committee began this initiative to bring awareness to bee colony collapse and the importance of pollinators in our food system. In addition, hotels have used their honey in menus and amenities to engage guests and employees. In the first year, our hotels’ beehives produced over 1,000 lbs. of honey!
- Urban container gardens
- As rooftop beehives are added to hotels, our hotel members are beginning to create rooftop gardens with plants and flowers for the bees to pollinate.
- TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Certification
- TripAdvisor is an international hotel rating system and GreenLeaders is its sustainability certification for hotels. To gauge our hotel industry’s overall sustainability, our committee encourages our hotel members to become certified on this platform. To date, over 70% of Hotel Council hotel members are certified GreenLeaders!
- Sustainable building tours
- The Sustainability Committee organizes tours of sustainable facilities to inspire ideas from within and outside the industry. Tours have included the LEED Platinum W San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences, and Jackson Family Wine Estates and Garden.
- Stay Green Forum
- Beyond the LED Seminar
- Water Conservation Seminar: The Drought and Actions to Take Now
- Zero Waste Banquets and Catering Seminar